Sunday, July 3, 2011

To the Outer Banks and back again

This is one of the reasons I haven't posted in a little while. It's called summer and it's best taken with family, sand, water and lots of sun. I recently took my in-laws up on the offer to crash the annual family Outer Banks vacation with the boys for a couple of days. This is Lincoln, above, in deep conversation with his cousin, Alyssa, while they look out at the remains of a 19th-century shipwreck off the beach. Cool. And here the cousins, including Alyssa's little brother Eric, are doing some serious sandcastle creation as part of the annual family competition.
Mostly, we spent time on the beach but one day we took the ferry out to Ocracoke Island. We didn't get to see a lot of the island except cheap souvenir shops selling plastic pirate costumes and sea shells, a snowball ice-cream stand, and an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet. But thus is life traveling with little ones.The ferry ride back made it all worthwhile though. We left just as the sun was setting.
Apparently, the seagulls hadn't eaten dinner yet because they hovered right over us while Lincoln ate his granola bar.
 So what does this have to do with food? Very little, really. Except this. Rich couldn't get off work and stayed behind. My MIL asked me, "What does he eat while you're gone?" I laughed and said, "Usually pizza and calzones or something involving bacon." That night when I talked to Rich on the phone he said he'd gone out to eat and gotten...a calzone. I told him about my predictions and he said I had thrown down the gauntlet. His gourmet sensibilities were offended! And so when we arrived home late Saturday afternoon we found this.
Sirloin kabobs with green peppers and red onions. Watermelon salad with cilantro. Mozzarella caprese salad. Grilled yellow squash. Boiled raviolis for the boys. Pinot noir for the grown-ups. A pan of Ghiradelli brownies and a bouquet of flowers. And not a piece of peperoni or bacon in sight. I take it back, Honey. I take it all back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...