Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Crockpot Rosemary Steak Sandwiches


Hello readers. It's been a while, but I haven't forgotten you. Between my kindergartener's very long trackout (winter break lasted almost 5 weeks) and a bout of stomach flu this week I'd all but given up on blogging. But don't feel too badly for me, we also squeezed in a long Christmas week off and a Jamaican vacation. Sigh...still thinking about it.
Did I mention that our resort package came with a nanny? See, I told you not to feel too bad for me.
We may be home but I find myself reluctant to go back to washing dishes, cooking, all that mess. It's the funniest thing though--everyone's still hungry. So I'm embracing my crockpot this month. I love being able to toss a few ingredients in the crockpot in the morning and have dinner done with very little fuss that afternoon. And fewer dishes to wash. Plus this time of year is perfect for crockpot meals, which, compared to how we normally eat, tend to be a little heavy on the meat and sauce.

So Crockpot Rosemary Steak Sandwiches are a mix between two of my favorites--Philly Cheesesteaks and au juice beef sandwiches. Tender, juicy meat cooked all day on a low temp with plenty of onions and fresh rosemary, layered on a baguette and smothered in Provolone and spicy, crisp banana peppers. If you’re feeding little ones you can omit the peppers and serve the bread and meat separate with a veggie. The meat and sauce also freeze and reheat great for later.

Crockpot Rosemary Steak Sandwiches

2 lb beef (I’ve used skirt steak and top round)
1 yellow onion, sliced in strips
1/2 cup A-1 steak sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tb fresh rosemary, chopped, or 1 Tb dried
1 French baguette, lightly toasted
Provolone cheese
1/2 cup Banana peppers, drained

1.) Cut the steaks into four large sections and place the steak, onions and steak sauce in the crockpot. Turn on low heat and cook for 5-6 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
2.) Remove the meat from the crockpot and cut into thin strips. Put back in the crockpot with the rosemary and add the soy sauce. (You can also do this at the very end if you aren't home during the day. Just let the meat cook in the soy sauce and rosemary a bit first.) Continue to cook meat for another 2-3 hours. The meat is ready when it’s tender.
3.) Slice the toasted baguette open and cut into four large sections.
4.) Place the Provolone on the bread and spoon the meat over top. Add the banana peppers to taste and ladle the remaining sauce from the crockpot over the sandwiches. You can also serve the sauce au juice style in a side dish to dip the sandwiches.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry, it's all gone! :-) Let's get together soon though.That baby boy is scrumptious.

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious. I'd love it if you stopped by my linky to share this and anything else you would like. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/02/1-month-of-fun-february-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! I would love for you to come by and link up to my Recipe Party at The Sweet Spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This looks super easy and delicious! I would love to have you share at my party...going on now through midnight Friday. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks SO yummy!!! Pinning this to try. Oh yum, I'm so hungry now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kristen and for pinning it!

      Delete
  6. This looks so yummy! I am definitely pinning this one! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to reading more of your lovely blog. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...