Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Breakfast of Champions to Beat Low Blood Sugar


Lincoln, my oldest, and I both have issues with low blood sugar. Pre-mealtime at our house can be precarious. We're learning to anticipate our hunger needs and snacking smarter. And now we've realized that for us it starts with the right breakfast. We've traded whole-grain cereals with soy milk, pancakes or waffles, and even oatmeal for high protein foods. And what a difference! I've noticed a huge improvement in Lincoln's moods and ability to handle disappointments throughout the morning. I would chalk it up to him getting older, except that I've noticed a big improvement for myself as well.

So, what does breakfast look like? Whole grain toast with natural peanut butter and honey. Eggs. Coffee for mom. And most days a yogurt fruit smoothie. Sounds like a lot of food, but I've found I eat less the rest of the day when I take time to eat a (humongous) breakfast. Nursing Benjamin and running help me burn the calories. As I wean him, I'll have to adjust my calorie intake, but I also won't be so hungry.

Here's a recipe for a healthy, filling smoothie that even Lincoln loves. For an extra boost, I toss in a couple tablespoons of one of Ben's baby food veggie/fruit blends before I feed him breakfast. This morning I used squash/peach. Linc didn't even notice. And at $.46 for a jar of baby food it's a quick, cheap, easy way to add more veg to our diets.

Berry Sunrise Yogurt Smoothie Surprise
1/2 cup fat free, plain yogurt
1/2 cup plain or light soy milk
1/2 banana
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
5-6 whole frozen strawberries
1 TB frozen orange juice concentrate
2 TB pureed squash/peach baby food

Add to blender. Blend. Pour. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...