Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Welcome to the Feeding Four blog

When my husband and I agreed that I would stay home after the birth of our first son, Lincoln, a part of the reason was food. Seriously. I knew that with two of us working full-time and commuting 45 minutes to an hour for work every day the first thing that would go would be healthy, homemade meals. Our health and our waistlines would pay the price. So good food is a priority for our family.

Now that said, I don't shop my week's worth of groceries at Whole Foods or even Trader Joe's. The closest health food store is 25 minutes away and with a four-year-old and a nine-month-old I'm lucky to find two hours to hit Wal-Mart for groceries and household items once a week. To be completely transparent, I don't even buy organic produce. I'm just too cheap. I figure it's better to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables that aren't organic but are affordable than to eat less produce that's probably less fresh because it moves slower off the shelves at my local grocery store. If there's an organic option that's slightly more expensive or similar in price, I'll choose the organic option. And there are some natural or organic products that I just prefer like conditioners, body washes and lotions. But I don't buy hook, line and sinker into the whole organic movement.

So what is this blog about? We are an average family of four. We try to live a balanced life and eat well-balanced foods within a balanced budget. We eat mostly lean meats, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. But I also like to bake, and when I bake I use butter. Because one cookie that tastes good beats the heck out of three that taste like cardboard. The trick, of course, is stopping at one. :-) This blog is about our journey to find ways to eat well, save money and enjoy life with our friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...