Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Grilled White Eggplant with Pesto

Eggplant is one of those foods, like okra, that has to be cooked just right to be enjoyed. Depending on how it's prepared it can be, in my mind, bitter or slimy. My husband has always hated eggplant until I made it this way. I used the basil pesto I made earlier in the summer but you can find pesto in your own produce section or with the spaghetti sauces. (And you don't need 6-8 cups of basil to make pesto on your own. Just follow the ingredients list and adjust amounts based on how much basil you can get your hands on.)

Here's what a white eggplant looks like, in case you've never seen one. They were new to me. They remind me of fat little ghosts, but that could be because my oldest boy is playing a lot of Super Mario right now.
I paired the eggplant with a Veggie Flatbread (although I actually used garlic naan for the variation below) for dinner and made use of all of the peppers and squash we have on hand right now. So tasty you forget it's all good for you. What did the kids think? Well, they still wouldn't touch the eggplant but my hubby gobbled it up.

Grilled White Eggplant with Pesto

1 large white eggplant (purple is fine too)
olive oil
salt
1/4 cup pesto, fresh is best

1.) Quarter the eggplant and slice the quarters into 1/2-inch thick slices. Salt and lay out on paper towels for at least an hour. Rinse and pat dry.
2.) Toss lightly in olive oil and grill on medium heat until soft and grilled nicely.
3.) Drizzle with pesto and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...