Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dining Room Makeover--Phase One

Ta-da! If you don't recall what the "before" looks like, here it is with a photo of the artwork not pictured:

I've only changed the table and the rug but what a difference already! The table and chairs are from Pier 1 and the rug is from Target.com. I loved the idea of the rug but wasn't sure how much I would like it in person. But, Target.com was running a 15% off deal with free shipping and in-store returns so I figured I'd give this new rug a try. I'm so glad I did. It works perfect with the accent wall color and even the colors and style of my living room, which is open to the dining room.

I'm very happy with the new table and chairs, although they took a little getting used to since it's so different from the old set. I've always wanted a big farm table though. We only purchased 6 chairs for now. We want to do different head chairs eventually. For now, we've got the baby's booster seat on one of the old chairs. I've been pleased with the finish on the table. I was worried about scratches and water marks at first but the table has distressed accents so it's already "broken in" and any minor scratches and bumps we've already incurred just blend right it.

Up next:
  • Buffet serving piece. When I purchased the table and chairs from Pier 1 I signed up for their credit card and earned enough points with the purchase to get $120 in store credit. I also got a 20% off coupon for my next purchase, and sold the old table and rug on craigslist. All this combined will be enough to get the buffet I want free. Love it. Just waiting for my gift cards to come in the mail.
  • Chandelier. I'm keeping the chandelier but it needs to be lowered by about a foot. We've got 20 ft ceilings in the dining room so I need to hire an electrician for the job.
  • Drapes. Still my biggest challenge. I have shopped everywhere for drapes and picked out a handful of samples from Jo-Ann fabric to make my own. So far, no luck. With pre-made drapes, the length is the problem. Most drapes come in 84"-96" and I need 100" or more. And I just haven't found a fabric that I'm in love with to make my own. Will keep looking.
  • Artwork. Am deciding between keeping my old artwork (above), putting up black-and-white family photos in these cool Pier 1 picture frames , this sunburst mirror, or framing photocopies of some gorgeous John Lawrence illustrations from children's picture books. I don't think I'll be able to decide until I have the buffet and drapes in place.
Stay tuned for Phase Two!

3 comments:

  1. Your dinig room looks great. I love everything you have done. Look firward to seeing phase 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina St DenisApril 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM

    Love the rug and table! The booster seat is great, too :) Looks just like ours!
    So good to see you again! It's been awhile since the CW days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christina: Yes, it has been a while! Good to hear from you. Kesha's on Facebook too. Love your haircut from your profile page. Thinking about going short this spring too. Let's do a playdate if you're ever back out this way. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...