Thursday, April 14, 2011

First produce box of 2011 arrives

I did a little happy dance after they arrived and snapped this picture. This week's box contained a huge helping of fresh spinach, a couple of purple sweet potatoes, a small bunch of spring garlic, a quart of strawberries and three little herb plants. I planted my herbs and then made this...
This salad is so easy I'm not going to post an actual recipe. I used three of the hothouse tomatoes and two of the spring garlic bulbs (use shallots or scallions if you don't have them) from my box and a small fistful of assorted fresh herbs from my garden (basil, parsley, oregano and rosemary). Chop the tomatoes and slice the garlic. Toss in a bowl with a sprinkling of red wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil, a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. Top with crumbled chunks of feta or mozzarella. If the tomatoes are too tart or you overdo it with the vinegar, add a tiny sprinkle of sugar. Let marinate in the fridge for an hour or so and serve chilled. Mmmmm... I love spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...